- Prizes/Sweepstakes/Free Gifts. Requests for payment to claim fictitious prizes, lottery winnings, or gifts.
- Internet: General Merchandise Sales (not auctions)
- Fake Check Scams.
- Friendship & Sweetheart Swindles.
- Advance Fee Loans, Credit Arrangers.
- Family / Friend Imposters.
What are the best scamming methods?
- Spoofing. Does caller ID show the same area code and prefix as yours?
- Fake profiles.
- Fake photos.
- Fake entities.
- Fake claims.
- Fake names, credentials and badge numbers.
- Computer pop-ups.
How do I start swipe scamming?
Swiping scamming, also called skimming, occurs when you swipe your debit card or credit card through a skimming device, which can attach to a legitimate card reader at an ATM or gas station. It then captures your card’s information.
What can I get scammed for?
If you’ve given the scammer access to your computer
- reset your passwords.
- let your bank know your financial information might have been stolen.
- make sure you update your anti-virus software.