How to balance saving and spending?
It’s our simple guideline for saving and spending: Aim to allocate no more than 50% of take-home pay to essential expenses, save 15% of pretax income for retirement savings, and keep 5% of take-home pay for short-term savings. (Your situation may be different, but you can use our framework as a starting point.)
How can I wisely spend my money?
- Track Your Finances.
- Think About the Long-Term Benefits and Drawbacks of Purchases.
- Only Put Money on Your Credit Card if You Can Afford to Pay it off Each Month.
- Stop Trying to Impress Other People.
- Figure out What Habits Drain Your Budget.
- Learn to Value Savings Over Products.
How do I stop wasting money?
- Know what you’re spending money on.
- Make your budget work for you.
- Shop with a goal in mind.
- Stop spending money at restaurants.
- Resist sales.
- Swear off debt.
- Delay gratification.
- Challenge yourself to reach your new goals.